Friday 2 August 2013

#5 The UCAS Application

I'm afraid I can't offer specific advice with screen shots and the such like because UCAS has undergone a bit of a shiny update... so I don't know how similar things are to how they were when I applied a year ago!

But my advice is as follows:

  1. Apply early - this doesn't always guarentee quick answers, but it puts you at the front of the queue and takes the pressure off of you.
  2. Have your first draft of your personal statement by the time you're back after the summer, and have an idea of your top unis first
  3. If in any doubt about any part of the application, first ask your form tutor or head of year, if they can't help, give UCAS a call or check their FAQs
  4. In general  the process is really quite straight forward, just check everything you write for typos, and make sure you have the correct email etc (though personal details can be changed after application)
  5.  As an aside to '4', I was quite daunted by the fact that my school never gave us any hints about what the application process is like. Watch videos to help such as this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZGb7nQEQ8M
  6. If you didn't do as well as expected on an AS exam you still enter the grade on UCAS. For example I unfortunately got an E in AQA History at AS, so i resat. You enter the subject twice into your qualifications, once with your current grade (E for me) and once with grad 'Pending', which indicates that you are resitting one or more modules in order to change your overall grade.
  7. Remember to enter other qualifications (I did the AQABacc Extended project but forgot to declare it... whoops! Thankfully my head of Sixth Form said that UCAS will pick up on this and the unis will get my result anyway!)
GOOD LUCK! I hope I've covered everything useful, but if you have any questions please 

No comments:

Post a Comment